It takes a lot of very smart, hard-working and talented people to provide the level of care that we give to our patients. Tufts Medical Center is an internationally respected academic medical center and we pride ourselves not only on the sophistication of the care we deliver, but the compassionate way in which we provide it. And that starts with our employees.
Under general supervision transports patients and patient-related items throughout the Hospital, ensuring the safe and comfortable transportation of patients in a courteous manner. Maintains inventory levels in stock rooms.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- On specified schedule, picks up and delivers from different stations throughout the Hospital, patient-related items such as blood and urine specimens, medical records, mail, O.R. schedules, laboratory and pharmacy slips and billing documents. Sorts items for pick-up, and checks accompanying paper work for completeness and accuracy. Checks with appropriate station personnel for any special instructions or questions regarding items for delivery.
- Transports patients to and from various areas of the Hospital by wheelchair, stretcher or go-cart; occasionally escorts ambulatory patients. Ensures proper identification of patient by checking name on wristband, signs patient off the unit in Transport Log Book, tells patient where he/she is going, ensuring patient comfort, dignity and safety en route. Takes along all necessary patient-related items, such as medical record, etc.
- Cleans messenger cart, basket, wheelchairs, stretchers, and go-carts by rubbing down with alcohol or other cleaning solution.
- Checks in with appropriate station personnel for any special instructions prior to removing patient from unit.
- Informs receiving area personnel of patient’s arrival and communicates any special instructions.
- Locates wheelchairs, stretchers and appropriate accessories, i.e. IV poles, mattresses, etc. and reports any broken equipment to supervisor.
JOB KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Ability to read and write basic English in order to sort and deliver items.
- Ability to understand oral and written instructions and to speak English well is necessary to communicate with patients and staff.
- Mental and visual ability necessary to observe on-coming traffic at intersection when moving patients and equipment.
- Minimum of one month’s previous work experience.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Stands or walks most of the day. Frequent. lifting and pushing of light to heavy weights when transporting patients. Occasionally kneels, bends, and stretches when cleaning equipment.
- Occasional contact with cleaning solutions when cleaning equipment.
- Frequent exposure to blood, body waste, and unpleasant odors through the handling of specimens throughout the Hospital.
- Occasional exposure to contagious diseases and radioactivity through the transporting of patients and patient-related items; improper transporting of patient may increase possible exposure.
- Improper lifting or transporting of patients may result in back strain.
- Frequent contact with patients, Unit Secretaries and Nursing Staff. Occasional contact with families, visitors and physicians.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES STATEMENT:
Must be able to perform all essential functions of this position with reasonable accommodation if disabled.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Tufts Medical Center reserves the right to modify position duties at any time, to reflect process improvements and business necessity.
Please note that effective October 1, 2021, as a condition of employment at Tufts Medical Center, all employees and new hires must have received their complete dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, unless they have been granted an exemption.